Fifty-nine nonprofits across the U.S. are starting the new year with a grant from Ameriprise Financial. The grants, totaling more than $1 million, were distributed in late December and will support a diverse array of new and existing programs throughout 2008.
The company also announced new grantmaking platforms for 2008, including:
- Meeting Basic Needs – Programs and services that help people meet the basic needs of food, shelter and self-sufficiency. Support will focus on organizations that also provide training, counseling or other resources to help these individuals stabilize their lives.
- Supporting Community Vitality – Programs and services that build strong communities by addressing economic vitality, cultural enrichment, civic leadership and environmental awareness. Support will also be directed towards disaster relief and recovery.
- Volunteer-Related Causes – The company will continue to encourage and support the volunteer efforts of employees and advisors. A new component of this platform is the funding of retiree causes, recognizing the integral role Ameriprise Financial retirees play in communities across the country.
“At Ameriprise Financial, we are fortunate to be in the business of helping clients plan for their financial goals and dreams. Of course, we also recognize that there are many people in our communities who struggle daily to afford basic necessities, like food and shelter,” said Brian Pietsch, vice president of state government affairs and community relations at Ameriprise Financial. “What better way to give back to those who are less fortunate than to focus our time, energy and resources on meeting basic needs and on supporting programs that build strong, vital communities?”
Grant application deadlines for 2008 are February 1, May 1 and September 1. Additional information on the new platforms and application information is available at ameriprise.com.
2007 Community Giving Summary
Ameriprise Financial has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the nation where the firm’s clients, advisors, employees and retirees live and work. Highlights from the company’s 2007 Community Relations activities include:
- Funding more than 150 programs nationwide through corporate grantmaking.
- Providing a dollar-for-dollar match on pledges made by Ameriprise Financial employees and advisors during the 2007 Employee Giving Campaign, and matching an additional 3,500 gifts made outside the annual campaign.
- Beginning the Employee Giving Campaign with a $10,000 corporate donation to the Emergency Foodshelf Network, which enabled the organization to receive and distribute three semi truck loads of fresh fruits and vegetables valued at $400,000.
- Partnering with Habitat for Humanity and Ameriprise Financial employees to complete whole-house builds in Minneapolis and Green Bay.
- Sponsoring a toy drive at the company’s Registered Principle Conference. Attendees donated 300 toys and additional financial contributions to Toys for Tots of New Orleans. Ameriprise Financial recognized their efforts with an additional $5,000 grant to the organization.
- Matching $35,000 in cash donations collected for the Emergency Foodshelf Network during the Macy’s Holidazzle Parade in downtown Minneapolis.
- Partnering with Minnesota-based employees and retirees who contributed more than 15,000 volunteer hours through the company’s Community Partners and Retiree Volunteer programs.
About Ameriprise Financial Community Relations
Ameriprise Financial is dedicated to using the firm’s resources, talents and volunteer time to improve the lives of individuals and build strong communities. Through grantmaking, volunteerism and employee and advisor gift matching programs, the company supports a diverse group of over 5,000 nonprofits across the country. Additional information on the company and its Community Relations initiatives can be found at ameriprise.com.
About Ameriprise Financial
Ameriprise Financial, Inc., is a leading financial planning and services company with approximately 12,000 financial advisors and registered representatives that provides solutions for clients’ asset accumulation, income management and insurance protection needs. The company’s financial advisors deliver tailored solutions to clients through a comprehensive and personalized financial planning approach built on a long-term relationship with a knowledgeable advisor. The company specializes in meeting the retirement-related financial needs of the mass affluent and affluent. Financial planning services and investments are available through Ameriprise Financial Services, Inc., Member FINRA and SIPC. For more information, visit ameriprise.com.
© 2008 Ameriprise Financial, Inc. All rights reserved.
Stacy Housman, Media Relations, 612-678-7215